Labels

04 July 2012

Created From Color Copic Class

Good morning!  It's me!  I had a lovely day off work yesterday.  We had visitors for coffee and even sat outside on our balcony in the 34 degree C heat (apparently that converts to 93 degrees F).  The chokkie biscuits (not for me, I'm on a diet) all melted on the plate!  There was at least a lovely breeze and we do have awnings on the balcony, so it was actually quite pleasant.  My husband and I went out for a yummy Peking Duck dinner in the evening... not so diet, but I'm allowed one treat meal per week : )

Anyway, that's not what I wanted to talk about today...  I recently took an online basic copic colouring class called Created from Color which was run by Melissa Andrew from Melissa Made and Kristy Dalman  owner and creator of Some Odd Girl.  It was so much fun!  Melissa and Kristy started with the really basic basics and went through to colouring with some of those really difficult colours (reds, blacks, whites etc...).  They set homework for us to complete and critiqued our work and offered comments and suggestions the whole way through.  I really enjoyed the basic course and I will definitely be signing up for the Advanced course!

I purchased the optional kit that they had made up which included two exclusive Some Odd Girl stamps... This is my before and after work using Celebration Mae.


Do you see a difference?  I definitely do.  The class taught me how to add more definition with my shading, especially in the skin tones.  I'm also now using more vibrant reds and trying to tighten up my light source shading.  I'm also adding more texture to my hair colouring.

Here's my card using my final image:


The papers are from Bo Bunny, Cosmo Cricket and October Afternoon... they were all scraps from my scrap box (I'm trying to be good!).  The chipboard flowers are from Basic Grey (I think).  The sentiment comes with Celebration Mae and the buttons are from my stash.

Here's a close-up of Mae:

And here are the copics I used:

Hair: YR21, E97, E08, E18
Skin: E50, E51, E53, V20 and R20
Eyes: B02, B04, and copic opaque white
Reds: R35, RV29 and E18
Teal: G000, BG11, BG13, BG49 and Colourless blender


So, what do you think?  There was a whole range of students in the class... some who hadn't done much copic colouring at all before to some who were more experienced.  I think we all learned heaps!  It was so much fun looking in the gallery and seeing everyone's before and after projects!  Every single one of us improved lots!  I particularly loved the fact that Melissa and Kristy reviewed all of our homework and offered such helpful suggestions for improvement.  

Now I have to wait until the next Advanced Class to learn some more.  I believe there are still spots open in the up coming Basic Class which starts August 6th.  You can have a look HERE if you are interested in doing it.  I would highly recommend it.

I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:
Papertake Weekly: Anything Goes
Mema's Crafts: Anything Goes
Lia Stampz: Use your scraps

Have a lovely day!

Arabella in Athens

16 comments:

eva said...

wow, great coloring!! i like the before picture too but the after one sure is bright! and that is such a cute stamp!

Sue said...

wow Arabella! Your colouring was fabulous before but afterwards it is stunning!!
I love the card you have made, the image is gorgeous and the colours are fantastic

Hugs Sue

Faye said...

Wow, your colouring was fab before but it rocks now! I keep dithering about this course... xx

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. We need some of your heat here in Sydney. It is very cold tonight.

Unknown said...

Wow Arabella, that sure makes a difference! Love that 2nd image!! Brilliant! So where is this course being held then? Probably way out of my reach! There are classes being taught here in the Netherlands, but I'm not quite sure whether the're up to standard. Hugs, Frea

Annette Allen said...

gorgeous....Happy 4th of July

Rachel Parys said...

I never would have signed you up for a copic class because you do such fantastic work, but these before and after shots look great! Gosh, I should probably sign up for the next one! And I am in love with that girl! She is a doll! Great card, thanks for sharing what you learned!

Rachel Parys said...

p.s.

Thanks for listing your skin colors. I use a lot of those colors normally, except for the E53. I am going to try this!

Trina said...

My brain can't believe you took a coloring class! I already believed you to be awesome!! Another great card!!

V's Sweet Ideas said...

Thanks Arabella! I was contemplating on whether to take the class or not but after reading your post I went ahead and signed up! Great job by the way! Love the color you chose for her dress!

Tracy said...

You can definitely see a difference but your coloring is awesome either way. :-) Hugs!

Cheryl said...

I can see the difference. Your coloring was already so fabulous, I can't wait to see what you do now. I love Melissa's coloring too. I'm going to have to check out those classes when I have some part time.

Mema's Crafts said...

Your card is gorgeous and your coloring is awesome. Thanks for joining us at Mema's Crafts and Good Luck!

Maria Therese said...

Wow looks awesome!! I think I need to look into a class like this when summer is over..

Shelby said...

Love the rich coloring of the teals and reds...awesome combination. I can definitely tell a difference in your coloring especially with the skin tones and the depth of the hair!!

Shelby

RiNNE said...

As if your coloring can't get any better, you just proved me wrong! :). Lovely coloring and your card is stunning! I do like what the final one looked like, and I thought I didn't need that basics class as I was Copic Certified. You're making me rethink it. :)