Labels

16 October 2009

Today was Farmer's Market day in Lavrio...

Every Thursday in the little town I am living in in Greece there is a Farmer's Market.




They sell beautiful produce and fresh fish as well as tools and clothes and household items.   The fruit and veges at the market are much fresher and better than those sold in the supermarket, but it is a bit 'pot luck' as to what you will find at the market from week to week.

Since May, the only onions I have been able to find at the market or the supermarket are red onions...






I've been buying my onions from these two chappies nearly every week for the last 5 months and they hardly every give me a smile.  Deep down I'm pretty sure they like me though... well I like to think so anyway.






I do love the beautiful colours at the market and the bustle of people and the sound of the vendors touting their wares...










Look at this lovely guy smiling for my photo! Most of the vendors don't speak much English and I speak no Greek, but we get by okay. The people here are so friendly and helpful.





These two are my favourite market vendors.  They are a mother and daughter pair and they seem so pleased to see me each week, it really makes my day. They always throw in something extra as a gift for me when I shop with them.  This week it was a melon. Aren't they cute?






Market garlic is fantastic... so much better than store bought...





And the tomatoes!  Oh, the tomatoes.... in my opinion, the tomatoes in Greece have the best flavour you will find anywhere in the world.






The fish from the market is also really good.  It's always fresh, and surprisingly these stalls are not too smelly...






Well, there you go... that was my trip to the market today.  It was a bit of a grey day, so not quite as cheerful as usual, but still good.  My arms nearly dropped off with all the stuff I bought and had to carry back to the car.

Arabella Chickie in Greece


1 comment:

ChickieChirps said...

Wow! What a great insight into Lavrio.
Thank you, you've painted a lovely picture of the markets. What superb smiling vendors! xx Bookie-bird