Labels

16 November 2010

Attitude of Gratitude # 13

It's been a long, long while since I wrote one of these. It isn't that I haven't found lots to be grateful for, quite the contrary actually, life has been very kind to me and I have many blessings to count.

UK chickie typed a message to me on Skype this morning; it concerns my 82 year old father and it really touched me so I thought I'd share it with you. 

"Grandad really chuffed as he babysat the little guy a couple of times for me today and Alex has really taken to him....walks up to him and asks to be picked up then puts his head down on Vic's shoulder....for a split second then he's off again!"

These two are as alike as two peas in a pod.  In nature and in looks.  When Alex was first born, my son was a bit freaked out by the likeness.  This is the first time they've ever been in each other's company though as my dad lives in Africa and it's truly food for my soul to see them together like this. 

My dad arrived in London the morning Kate was discharged from hospital and they hadn't seen each other since she was 11 months old.  She walked into the house and went straight to her great-grandfather for a cuddle.  She climbed up onto his lap and lay down on his chest with her head on his shoulder.  I could see how moved he was!  She stayed there for ages.  We were all absolutely amazed!

There is this saying that comes to mind from somewhere... 'in the end the love you take, is equal to the love you make'... maybe it's part of a song as I seem to hear a tune playing somewhere in the deepest reaches of my brain.  Maybe a Beetles song, anyone remember?

It's so true of my dad.  All my life, he has been my rock.  He has stood by me through some very trying times and he has never failed to ensure I know how much he loves me and mine.  He's been the same with my children and it's wonderful to see him getting so much love back from my children and now my grand-children.  Little and innocent as they are.

And for this I am profoundly grateful.

April Blackbird

No comments: