Labels

13 February 2010

Muffin Experiment 2: White Chocolate Muffins with Dark Chocolate Chips

The muffin experiment continued today, this time with sweet muffins as my husband pointed out that they were nicer than savoury muffins for afternoon tea and snacks - which makes sense really. 

However... it is a little bit limiting as he doesn't eat fruit flavoured muffins, so I am left with chocolate (not that I am complaining too much... I am quite fond of chocolate myself).

I used the same Marvellous Easy Muffins recipe from Homemade The Handmade Help Recipe book as I used earlier in the week, but I based the filling on the Chocolate chip and Pumpkin recommended filling which is as follows:

1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup mashed pumpkin and a little milk or apple/orange juice if needed

Since I didn't have any mashed pumpkin on hand, I decided to add melted white chocolate instead... I melted 130g of white cooking chocolate in a microwave safe jug in two 30 second spurts, stirring in between and then let it sit for a little while to cool.  When it was slightly cooled, I stirred in milk to bring the volume up to 1/2 cup. 

This time I found some self raising flour, so I used it instead of the flour and baking powder combo I used last time.  I also adjusted the oil and buttermilk quantities to 1/4 cup vegetable oil and 3/4 cup buttermilk. 

I cooked them for 25 minutes, which was probably 5 minutes too long for the size of the muffins, (but I wasn't paying attention as I was having lunch) so they are a little bit browner than they should be.


















They are quite crunchy on the outside, and the inside is a lot fluffier/spongier than the last muffins, but they still didn't rise as much as I would like.  I think next time I will add a bit more baking powder as well as the self raising flour.   I quite excited that the change in oil : buttermilk ratio worked out well... I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

I think that dark chocolate is yummier and more attractive than white chocolate, so next time I will make Dark Chocolate Muffins with Dark Chocolate Chips...  The boys have given these muffins the thumbs up... but anything with chocolate in would probably work for them!

On another note: Yay!  It's Friday!

Have a great weekend!

Arabella Chickie in Palma de Mallorca




No comments: